Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Roma- Colosseo & Vaticano

This July, I was able to travel to Italy with the volleyball team that I coach. We did fundraiser after fundraiser to help pay for the girls, and it all payed off in the end...because we made it! :) This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. We traveled to four cities- Rome, Grosseto, Florence, and Venice....also making a stop in Pisa to see The Leaning Tower! We saw sites in each city and the girls also played local volleyball teams for some of the days. I wish Loren was able to go with me, but I did have a few loved ones with me, which made the trip that much more special! I, of course, had my volleyball team with 5 moms and 1 sister, along with my little sister, Alli, and one of my BFF's Jami Harvey! It was a dream of mine to travel to Europe and I hope to go again soon! I finally got organized with my pictures, and this is just one of many posts to come!

The Coliseum!!! We didn't get a tour of the inside, but I hope I can get there again someday! It took under 10 years for the Romans to build this! INCREDIBLE!
The Arch of Constantine. We were so jet-lagged! Despite our exhaustion, we were still our dorky-selves!

Another view of the coliseum!


Gladiators!!!

This was on our second trip to the Colosseo, but we never were there early enough to get a tour.

We were on a walking tour of the city on this day! Which was stressful! We kept losing people and for some reason I felt like it was my responsibility to stay back and wait for people! This was our last stop before we got on the metro and headed back to our hotel, and we were so busy taking pictures that we got left! LOL, we obviously found our way back home.....but that was the day I decided to stop looking out for EVERYONE! :) But of course I didn't.

The ceiling inside of a cathedral. All of the cathedrals were SO ornate!

Another ceiling! :)

Il Vaticano! St. Peter's Basilica!!!

"The School of Athens," by Raphael.

Ceiling in the museum!

Even the floors were worth taking pictures of! :)

The main chapel in St. Peter's Basilica. All of the cathedrals were super dark and it was sometimes hard to get photos! They were all so beautiful, and every wall was picture-worthy!

We climbed over 500 stairs to the top of the cupola of St. Peter's! It was so steep!

So crammed.

But so worth it!!!! The view was truly breathtaking.....or maybe that was the climb?

We were happy to get some fresh air!

The Gardens were amazing!!!!

Me, Alli, and Jami with another view from the top.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it looks like you guys had so much fun! i am so jealous! tell jaime hello for me!take care!

Becca said...

I am sooooo jealous. Looks like you had a lot of fun and you took some great pictures!!